Influencer Marketing Strategy For Conference and Events Manchester
11 Nov 2017
5 Steps To A Successful Influencer Marketing Strategy For Conferences and Events
As mentioned in our previous article on event website development, influencers, or key speakers have become an established unique selling point in the event industry. Common examples being successful entrepreneurs delivering speeches at B2B conferences, or highly recognised industry leaders explaining topics to delegates at expositions or B2C events. At the recent Gama Innovation Conference and Awards Ceremony at The Bridgewater Hall, delegates were treated to a number of fantastic speeches from individuals such as The Lord Mayor, City of Manchester; Ian Wright CBE and Nuno Lopes Gama, Head of Innovation & Future Tech at Sonae.
As an event professional, it is likely that you have already entered the new terrain of Influencer marketing as an organiser, or you may be on the verge of it. One thing is clear: with the right strategy, the collaboration with influencers offers great potential for your marketing objectives.
With our checklist, we will show you how you can use Influencer Marketing successfully:
1. Establish specific goals.
Do not just rely on qualitative goals like image formation and trust. In order to measure your success in numbers, you should first check these points:
- Define how many additional persons are to be reached by the influencers.
- In addition, determine how much the interaction with Influencer contributions should be.
- Know how many ticket sales you want to generate through Influencer Marketing.
- Create promotional codes and give them to your influencers to distribute via social media communication. You can use the entered codes to find out who participated in your event due to an Influencers recommendation.
Tip : Once a year, conduct an survey with your participants to measure their impressions of your company; including trust and brand loyalty.
2. Find your suitable influencer.
No matter which target group you want to address, Influencers have the potential to help you reach the right people for your event as well as determining the future course of your event. You should use your pre-set goals as the basis for the Influencer search. If, for example, you wish to achieve more reach, your influencer should have a corresponding follow-up. For image-forming goals, your influencers should have a certain expert status. Please refer to the following checklist for the search:
- Check the range of the influencers and the distribution channels that they cover. For this purpose, check in advance which platforms (social media/business networks) are most likely to reach your target group and make sure that the respective influencer is regularly involved in this.
- Learn more about the expertise of the influencers. Think about what content they will share and create for you. The content must meet your target group as well as your requirements and should therefore always be checked in advance.
- Pay attention to the image of the influencer, because it also transfers to your event. The position of the influencer in the industry not only affects your reputation, but also the credibility of the post that relates to your event.
- After you have made a selection of suitable candidates, you should carry out the relevant research on the influencers. To find the right tool for you, follow this list
Buzz Sumo is probably one of the best known tools when it comes to researching suitable influencers. Influencers can thus be filtered according to social media coverage and also by segments such as bloggers, companies and journalists.
With the help of Influma, organizers can carry out thematic searches in blogs and on websites, and read the interaction rate. In this way, organizers can directly see which points are the best, and the extent to which the contributions are inter-viewed.
Traackr is one of the most advanced variants, since the tool combines influencer research with relationship management. Because of this, it is only worthwhile for the organizers, who want to dedicate themselves particularly intensively to the topic of Influencer Marketing.
3. Build a relationship with your desired influencers.
Since Influencers can potentially receive hundreds of requests every day, you have to consider how to stand out from this crowd. In order to be able to establish a lasting personal relationship with suitable influencers, you should comply with the following 5 steps:
- Like and share social media and blog posts from your influencers and comment on them
- Link the content of your influencers to your channels.
- Let the influencers know that you mention them via hashtags or personal mails.
- Invite your influencer to attend an event as a delegate.
- Give the bloggers more visibility on your site . For example, list guest bloggers on a separate page, giving them more attention.
4. Create an action plan for your work with the influencers.
To get an overview of the work with your influencers, you should create an action plan. The best way to get the most out of this:
- Create an overview table, For example, in Excel.
- Include in this, which influencer represents which marketing channel and at which point in time.
Tip : Use this table as a guideline for your influencer management and keep an eye on all measures and actions.
5. Measure your success and optimize your actions.
Has Influencer Marketing achieved the desired success? As already mentioned in point 1, here again the objectives come into play which you have already defined in the beginning. In order to facilitate the success measurement and optimization, you should first answer these questions:
- How many tickets have you sold utilising an Influencers reach?
- How many additional visitors can you see on your site?
- What was the interaction with the influencers? How many likes, shares and comments did they get?
- How often was your event hashtag used on social media?
- How can you improve your image through surveys?
Now you can evaluate whether Influencer Marketing has brought the desired effect or not. If this is not the case, do not automatically think that it is not useful for your event. Most likely, you only need to optimize your strategy at one point or another. In order to improve your work with influencers, you should be guided by the following points:
- Take a look at other influencers which would still be available for cooperation and address them. So you can check if you have made the right choice.
- The content of the posts must fit the target group. Test alternative content to get your audience to interact.
- Adjust the contribution noise when your Influencer contributions are released too little or too often.
- See when most interaction with posts took place, and shift your focus to these times. The failure can simply lie at the wrong time of the distribution.